My love affair with Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches started many years ago when I helped the poor, or as they called themselves “middle class”. How you can be middle class and not own a butler dedicated to holding your parsnip is beyond me, but back to the special, “poor” treat I was introduced to. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, or in hip slang “PB&J”, is a food that has been around for centuries, in nations all over the world. It’s a simple food that provides comfort and security for people who would normally not have either.
Originating in Mexico where they call the sandwich “PB&Hey” or as my florist friend Juan calls it “PB&Heyyyyyyyy”, Peanut Butter & Jelly has helped terrible mothers and kids without discipline find a slightly healthier alternative to just murdering them and burying them in your Azalea garden. The blending of the peanut butter mixed with the smooth, tart, strawberry jelly made fresh out of your homegrown garden is truly a treat. We want to focus on providing a healthy dish that’s fast and easy for single mothers to make – even though fast and easy is what put them in their current situation.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Recipe:
- Place 2 pieces of whole wheat bread down on a 24 karat gold plate (if you don’t have 24 karat gold plates then use paper plates).
- Put fresh organic strawberries into mixer and mix for 5 minutes, sprinkling in light amounts of sugar and stir until it pastes (you can substitute with Smuckers).
- Crush 100 peanuts and spread on a thin layer on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes (you can substitute with Jiff).
- Spread the jam and peanut butter onto your whole wheat bread, and for a fun activity let your kids spread it (you can substitute by putting your kids up for adoption.)
- Put the pieces together, cut into 8 finger squares in the shape of a baby squirrel, and tell your butler to serve while you imbibe a new bottle vodka.
The Food Channel heard that I was writing this article, and filmed me creating my famous PB&J.
See it here!